Product Review...Skins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product Review...Skins

Well after complaining about muscle soreness to a mate...he steered me in the direction of Skins. Now I was sceptical..but I was assured that these things work. They are manufactured out of Lycra and Meryl Microfibre(not that I know the the hell that is...just plagerised from the site)

Now after two days of hard riding, usually by now Im near on paralised from the neck down from my muscles locked into place. The kids love it...they wreak havoc knowing Mum wont hunt them down and flog em.

So I thought ahh what the heck...I'll try em. Went into Rebel Sport..and purchased myself the long leggings and long sleeve top. I must admit to gasping with a small amount of rage at the price...but now that Ive used em...they are worth it. I have ZERO muscle soreness...and its bloody brilliant.

So...to all the racers who havent got em...and to the new ones coming in next year...I highley recommend you get yourself these Skins.

skins.net - Official Skins homepage

Cols
    Originally posted by Red_is_Best
    hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Are these the same kind of thing as Under Armour, or is it more advanced stuff?

I've heard Under Armour recommended as a decent wicking material for under leathers in hot weather, but not for the muscle recovery so much...

Anyway cheers for the recommendation!
    Last edited by Mockery; 20-11-2007, 08:41 PM. Reason: speliig
    "No machine has a soul until a man shares his own with it."

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Colleen. Might give this a go. Towards the end of a track day I develop pain and a lack of grip strength in my left (clutch) hand - the sensation feels like the long flexor tendons are strained. It has caused me to do a low speed run off into the basin at the end of two track days now due to the left hand no doing what its told.

Probably partially technique of course (hard braking and then using the clutch whilst hanging on for dear life) and also suspension set up - weighing nearly 100kg doesn't help.

They cite the example of implied benefits to a motorcross rider with muscle soreness in the website. Anything that would help would be worth the cash!
      sigpic
      My one motorcycling tip is...ride Phillip Island. The End.

Comment

So, what are they doing? Is it more about providing support, or more about letting the leathers slip around more as you work up a sweat?
        "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Big +1 here, been using Skins since March and they def work.

Due to the tightness they help to wick away the sweat & keep you dry & a bit more comfy in the heat; conversely they also act as an insulation in the cold to help keep ya warm.

I know a few peeps that use them and they get an unequivocal thumbsup.

Tech info here: skins.net - Research & Development - How Skins Work
          .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
            So, what are they doing? Is it more about providing support, or more about letting the leathers slip around more as you work up a sweat?

well primary they are for reducing the lactic acid build up in your muscles. They are a very firm fit as welll and that in turn compresses the muscles evenly. Clicky on the website link to get a better understanding of what they do. I wore mine for about 3 hours after finishing racing for the day...and not one twinge of ache...it was brilliant.
            hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Comment

I understand the physiology of how they work. Just wondering how you think the comfort/heat factor will be in summer?
              sigpic

Comment

very cool!

[reads last post] erm, so to speak
                "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by Gava View Post
                  I understand the physiology of how they work. Just wondering how you think the comfort/heat factor will be in summer?

very comfortable and heat factor zero. Didnt make me feel hot at all. I was racing all weekend....and both days didnt feel any warmer than what I usually would be.

Comment

work for me as well

q
                    bevel drive, belt drive, desmoquattro, testastretta, desmosedici....an evolution
                    -> Triumph 675, a revolution and obsession
                    __________________________________________________ _________________________

Comment

From what I understand, the UnderArmour Gear mob have different garments for hot weather and cold weather.

Comment

Footnote: I just bought the upper body/long arms Skins from Sportspower Joondalup. They've got 15% off all their current stock of Skins and they appeared to have most styles/sizes. Not sure when the sale ends
                        sigpic

Comment

What do they cost for a top and bottom
                          sigpic

Comment

Depends which whorehouse you frequent.

Comment

Thats funny...

As Colleen said, they're expensive. Long armed top, retail $109, so thats about $93 witht the 15% discount or a bit less if you buy other stuff. I think retail on a short arm was around $90, so around $76.50 after discount. I didn't look at leg options (and don't say it Desmo!).
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X