Tyre Warmer questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre Warmer questions

Looks like the rear element has died in the Chicane 35's I got second hand so unless a miriacle and someone has a set for a 180 rear with a dead front I'm up for a new set.

B componets have thier lucky Deal for PSBers on the same brand type or should I go for an adjustable set and look 20 times more professional than I ever hope to be. Comments /suggestions/recommendations?
    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

That really depends on your funds...if you got the money to spare, go for a good set and have it under warrenty, or buy another second hand set and run the risk of it going down the same road as your other one.
    SP RACINGis supported by:
    MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
    Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
    Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

you could go the Chicanes again. I know a few peeple that have them and have had no problems, me included.....

or, for $100 more, try the Kaneg ones....

Kaneg Digital tyre Warmers
      Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

Ive done the electrical repasirs on a few of these - hit it with the scalpel and find that bad joint. Normally just where the lead goes into the things.

Chuck it in your toolbox for sunday if your going, and I'll have a look.
        Increasing my carbon footprint - one 500 @ a time...

Comment

Eh if thats all it is I'll have a crack myself was thinking something dead in the miles and miles of elements those things inevatbly have. The indicator light actually lights when plugged in but putting the multimeter across the pins says open circuit where as the front says 120 ohmms. Not going, goosey needs a service and I'm thinking maybe some new tyres and possibly some working tyre warmers.
          Last edited by Nero Diablo; 03-01-2008, 08:34 PM. Reason: Typo's not to be confused with crook spelling.
          Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

yea thats right, roughly 140 ohms per warmer across the Active and neutral pins.

there will be a break in there somewhere - normally at the connections to the mains. Strip it back, and re solder it in - tape/heatshrink - buy rob a beer etc

(Bring the VOR)
            Increasing my carbon footprint - one 500 @ a time...

Comment

I bought a set of 35's and the rear warmer failed. I only used them for track days and had them for a bit over a year. Didn't get much help from B components other than a phone number for the importer that just rang out.

On mine the orange led would come on, then it would change to green and the warmer wouldn't heat. Removing the temp cut out switched made them work, but they don't go off when up to temp. I couldn't find a supplier for the thermo switch.

Comment

Thanks rob fixed!! crimp connection where the mains went into the element [email protected]#$ed. Looking at the actual themal switch I think its the one at the end of the two yellow brown wires that disappear into the warmer I would suggest this is a standard 80C thermocouple (once upon a time I could of told you its a T or K or whatever thermocouple). RS componets or possibly even Jaycar have these or if you get desperate there is always Farnell.

Need to go around and convince a canvas shop to sew them up again took a few photo's thinking about writing up a how too but there are a few legalities with working on mains stuff. I'll write it up and work out if I post it latter.

Comment

Possibly one of two things you could do for this... send it to me and I'll upload it onto my server, then whenever you want to send it to someone, you can just send them a link.... Or post it up here, or whatever you like.... A simple disclaimer at the front should be ok to cover yourself etc....
                  Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

While I remeber I ended up with 90 ohmms across the rear pins. Now this makes sense to me as the rear element is probally more powerful and would have a lower resistance so it can draw more current. The front is 120 ohmms however this is quiet a bit different from the 140 ohmms previously quoted for the rear, mutimeter was a fluke 25 I'm I'm reasonbly confident its accurate. So do I have a problem? I have run the warmer on the tyre and it gets hot and turns itself on and off and is similar temp to the front buy my calibrated hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Nero Diablo View Post
                      Looking at the actual themal switch I think its the one at the end of the two yellow brown wires that disappear into the warmer I would suggest this is a standard 80C thermocouple (once upon a time I could of told you its a T or K or whatever thermocouple). RS componets or possibly even Jaycar have these or if you get desperate there is always Farnell.
                      I tried RS and they said they couldn't help. Jaycar had a thermocouple, but it is like a large button with big connectors. The one in the warmer is small, maybe 25mm long and 5mm square.

Glad yours was a simple fix. BTW, get a needle and course thread and stitch them by hand.

Comment

I've seen that type of thermocouple in suppliers catalouge or somewhere similar I'll look into it.

Comment

Working...
                        X