Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Couple of Rule Changers For Next Season!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of Rule Changers For Next Season!

Tex rang me last night and mentioned a couple of changers for next season.
    The two main ones for me were,

1, You win a Clubmans round your out!

2, You finish in the top 3 for Superstock (for the season), your moved up to Supersport.

What are your thoughts :?:

The Clubmans one does not bother me much, but it can others as they may not see them selves competitive enough for Superbike / Supersport etc.
    For example the top 3 have been moved out, Gary / Glen / Leroy, all of them ride in the 60 sec bracket, the next along may only do 63 sec. They win the round and get told to move out. At 63 sec your not in the race, so now what? do they loose interest and give up racing, upgrade bike, race just to race and be there? everyone will have a different view.

For the Superstock rule, that sucks big time! Racing is very expessive, and I chose Superstock for that reason. Now if for some reason someone finished in the top 3 in there first year and was asked to move up, they could pull the pin on racing. There's a good chance they could not afford the added expence of Supersport. And at the end of the day it only applies to C and d grade riders.
    What about the Australian Road Racing Championship, you are removing our best local chances of performing well against Australia's best C & D Superstock races.
    As I said to Tex last night, hope you got the funds to upgrade your bike at the end of next season as one would expect you to finish in the top 3!

What are your thoughts?
    Sorry if I have it wrong, this is how I remembered it

my thoughts are WHO CARES :shock:
    just go out and ride.the rules are the rules.i will be doing superbikes next season with guys that are doing 57,s-59,s :shock:.theres no chance of me winning any races but hey,you gotta start somewhere and if i get flogged :shock: i will try harder next time.
    for the guys that are doing 63,s i dont think its fair as the gap between 1,st and last will be huge.but if thats the rules then so be it.
    as STUART ADAMS said at the meeting,you dont have to spend $$$ to be up there as todays bikes are awesome out the crate.RUSSELL NASH spent [email protected]#$%ll on the R1 engine and STUART ADAMS spent $$$,RUSSELL still won the championship.
    my R1 has got all crap like carbon covers,pro bolt adjusters,and a bunch of other junk and i can still go out there a play with the B graders
    next season,i will be dumping alot of gear of the bike to give myself a better chance at the BIG BOYS :twisted:

Comment

I agree with all comments mentioned above, however...

the only reason the 'Superbike' and 'Clubman' Rules have changed is to suit the 'MCRC Round/Event Sponsors'.
      (more riders in Clubman than Superbike which is supposed to be the premier event. The likes of Rural Building Co and Blue Steel were asking questions why they pay more than 2 Wheel Wreckers in sponsorship money, to have less riders on the grid?)

As usual the 'Riders' own interests are last on the list. This happens locally, Nationally and Worldwide. It always comes back to money.

But if it wasn't for the Round/Event Sponsors, the cost of 'Club Memberships' and 'Entrance Fees' would be even more expensive.

I do think however it is unfair for a Clubman rider who wins 'the day' in Clubmans, is automatically moved into Superbike the following round. If their times are slower than 62, all they will be for the rest of the season is a backmarker. They will basically be on the grid to make up numbers as it will honestly make no difference what type of bike they are on or what mods have been done to the bike, they could not possibly hope to beat the likes of 'A' Graders such as Nashy, Strett, or Stuart. They have far too many years of Racing Experience along with natural talent to compete with.

I do however agree with the comment that riding with faster riders improves your own ability. Hence one of the reasons I have decided that if I do race next year I will be competing only in the Superbikes Class and not Clubmans. The other reason is that I also believe Clubmans Class is also too dangerous a Class to ride in.

I know quite a few riders who also have the same opinion. One of whom retired this year due to some of the riding antics viewed and experienced throughout some of the rounds this year.

The format has been looked at such as dropping the handicap both in clubmans and the feature race at the end of the day. Both great moves in my view, especially in Clubmans. Being that Clubmans was a series this year, a handicap race makes a mockery of the points system and does not reward consistancy at all. The 2x 4 lap race remains however which I also think is dangerous. Two rounds this season has seen over six riders attend hospital for 'first lap' 'first corner' 'multiple rider' crash incidents.

The riding level between of riders in Clubmans is too broad a range in ability. There is a big difference between the slowest 72's to fastest 60's.

From my own experience riders that can do consistant 64's and below ride far safer in relation to racing lines and race courtesy than someone who averages 66's and above.

Leroy experienced this himself in round 2 or 3 when he was attempting to pass a 65/6+ rider in the left hander. The rider stood his bike up forcing Leroy wide resulting in him crashing, damaging his bike and injuring himself.

I for one would rather be last in Superbikes and slowly improve/reduce my lap times throughout the season, than be a potential Race Winner in Clubmans but at the same time worry about being taken out by an inexperienced rider from behind.

Round Five topped it off for me. I am sick of riding with dickheads. I have seen plenty of the front runners taken out carelessly and experienced this myself at the last round.

Yes racing is dangerous and these are the risks we take. I can accept 'Racing Incidents' but not outright stupidity.

The only other issue I see with the latest decisions by the Club inrelation to both Supersport and Superbike is rider recognition.

As mentioned a winner of a 'Clubman Event' would have absolutely no hope of winning a Superbike Race. Likewise this years first three place getters in the Superstock being forced into Supersport next year would have no hope of winning a Supersport Race. Again your competing against the likes of Nashy, Strett, Wattsy and Wayne Smith. (The slowest pulls a 58.3)

So as pointed out by Calvin does the rider therefore pull out of racing for fear fo being a backmarker without any hope of a podium or does he continue racing for the sole enjoyment and self satisfaction?

Trying to entice 'Sponsorship' to support your racing 'habit' also presents a problem for upcoming riders in this predictement as well. Who wants to spend money on someone who can't win, therefore offer no 'profile' for the sponsor. (podium placings, commentators comments, newletter articles, newspaper/tv articles)

An easy answer to me would be to have the A B & C grade riders ride in Superbike and Supersport as proposed but apart from having the overall class champions for 1st, 2nd and 3rd, but also recognise the individual grades riding within the class and award 1st, 2nd and 3rd place getters for both B & C grade also.

A competition within a competition. All riders are therefore recognised and rewarded for their ability within their own riding grade.

EG; A grade Champion, B grade Champion and C grade Champion.

At the end of the season, if the average lap times of the B or C grade Champion are within context of the relevant higher grade lap times then the rider is graded into the higher grade the following year.

This way each grade of rider has a realistic goal he or she can aim to achieve.

What say you?

Comment

Well said Chookie.

Another way at looking at the Superstock is next years National round in Perth, our local front runners, Jamie Boland and Cameron Stronach will not be able to do the Superstock IF they have modified there bikes for Supersport! Your not allowing your best riders to ride the Number 1 event held in Perth!

And Leroy, No ones is as Rich$$ as you mate! so these changers effect ones thinking towards giving it a go or not next season! (not many can do what you, myself and Tex have done regards buying new bike to throw down the track)

This is an open opinion, not based on my goals or desires for next season. Like you I am doing Superbike and I am very keen on it, I'm just thinking about those who don't want to do it and end up pulling the pin because of it, we have to keep the numbers up. Don't you agree?

Comment

It isn't as simple as everyone states. Please forward your comments onto the club for the comps committee to go through. Just touching on a couple of the points. Cameron and Jamie will be moved out of Superstock anyway as they are laying down the fast times and have both done 60's, I agree we need to look at Garys situation. We are looking at different ways to keep it fair for everyone but at the end of the day you cant please everyone. In Superbike there is the first C grader home award, also you have the seperate B grade series and then you have your Superstock and Clubman series. We can't turn it into junior tee ball or junior footy where everyone gets a trophy for turning up. At the moment we are working on a few things for the future. On clubman again the reason we were looking at a stand alone on the day championship is because we were getting three or four riders that started to lay down 61-60 second laps and we couldnt boost them out as everyoen wants to win a championship. I can understand ultimately that is what a lot of us are going for but it is not fair to the other riders in a series that is for beginners and out there to have fun and too be honest there was a lot of hours spent on the subject because of a lot of pissed off people. But please do forward all comments.

Comment

"As usual the 'Riders' own interests are last on the list. This happens locally, Nationally and Worldwide. It always comes back to money."

Alan this is definitely not true but it would help a lot if riders actually turned up to the meetings. I do think the meeting the other night did get out of hand and there were a few comments made far from the truth.

Comment

I was asked to comment on wed night , and i think i may of upset a few people,
              My feelings on the subject;
              In a way i'm glad that Jamie and Cameron are out of superstock, this makes next year interesting for me and gives me a chance to set myself a Goal of finishing in the top 3 , Good for the ego and also looks good for the sponsors if i can pull it off.
              But I set my bike up this year as superstock , if i finished top 3 then i would of been spending more money to change it to supersport, sure you don't have to, but at 95kg on a 600cc bike and limited experience i need all the help i can get I don't have the experience or the talent that Nashy has.
              Ben , i see your point on giving everyone a trophy just for turning up, But it's the participation of the lower riders that helps pay for the trophies that the top riders pick up each week. We are a Local club that should be encouraging racers at all levels and in whatever class they want to race. The clubman seris this year had more riders than any other(I think), rather than try to figure out how to get them into other races , shouldn't we be looking at why Clubmans is so popular and try to use that information to encourage more riders into the sport ?? if clubmans is the most popular than lets look at developing that ! remember we are not restricted to do things the way that the rest of the country do ?

Hey Ben when does the competition commitee meet next ??

Comment

And Leroy, No ones is as Rich$$ as you mate! so these changers effect ones thinking towards giving it a go or not next season! (not many can do what you, myself and Tex have done regards buying new bike to throw down the track)

AS RICH AS YOU :shock:
                im one of the only ones here that racers on this forum and doesnt have a sponsor mate.not one thing is given to me like,oils,paint jobs,tyres,clothing, etc,etc.i pay for everything,BIKE,OILS,TYRES,ETC ETC.i work my ass off as tex has witnessed just to able to do this sport.so dont ever call me rich,because im far from it.

i got no chance against the A graders but will give it my best and i know in myself,i will improve and will get there.i started this year racing with a gaol.TO WIN,not to get down to low times or do my personal best, [email protected]$K that.im out there to do my best.some of you guys will think otherwise,but hey,I DONT CARE! its worked for me and it will work again.

i said this before,just get out there and ride it like its not yours and if you fall,BAD LUCK!get up(if you can)and keep going.

in my opinion,STOP COMPLAINING! and ride the bike.you aint gonna get faster by worrying about club rules.

Comment

Ben,

Please take this post on face value. It's nothing against you or your family.

Attending the meeting the other night seemed to me pretty pointless.

Far to many 'egos' in one room to make sense.

Everytime a point was raised whether relevant or not, unless the the point was in favour of the present direction of the club, the idea or thoughts seemed to be immediately dismissed.

The discussions seemed to go around in circles to eventuate to nothing.

Most people I spoke to afterwards felt disenchanted and had a negative aspect to the current changes.

Like I said in my previous post, if I race next year I will be in the 'Superbike Series' so I'm not one of them.

But I do think there is a distinct difference between local 'teeball' and 'road racing'.

I'm not saying give everyone a trophy for participation, I'm simply stating recognise the fact you actually have three grades competing in one series. A 'C' grader is never going to beat the 'A' grader so give the grade recognition and reward accordingly.

I understand you award a trophy for first 'C' Grader home each round but why can't you run a separate points tally for 'Overall' in the series, 'B' Grade and 'C' Grade. If your reply is 'lack of staff' to complete the admin required for this, I am happy to volunteer my time to assist.

The current format for the 'B' Grade 'feature race' is exactly that. A feature. One race per round can not seriously be considered a 'series'.

Clubman as you know is no longer a series, it is a 'day' event which means no points are carried over to the next round.

I know there is no easy solution and you will never please everyone.
                  Its very easy to sit back, winge and bitch and offer nothing but negative views without solutions for the issues.

With that in mind, I mentioned to your mum on leaving the other night I will forward an email with my thoughts. I will also be nominating for the 2005 Club Comp Committee at the forthcoming AGM.

Comment

Good stuff Alan. Some very good points there. Our next comps meeting is next Tuesday so get those suggestions in. We are looking at a second B grade race at this stage but we do have some issues with the amount of time we have to play with in the day.

Comment

Ben , can we come to the meeting or is it a closed meeting ??

Comment

It is closed to the competitions committee. Obviously these changes cant all be made in one season but we do have quite a bit to look at now for next year.

Comment

Sorry Leroy your missing the point! I don't want to mention mine or your personal interest with this issue, just the overall inpact it may have. Like I said I'm in the same boat is you. But what about the others, is it fair to them? Look at everyone elses situation not just our own. 8)

Like you said, I will ride even if I'm last, could not give a shit it's a ball just being out there giving it ago! :twisted:

Comment

Cameron and Jamie will be moved out of Superstock anyway as they are laying down the fast times and have both done 60's, I agree we need to look at Garys situation.
                            But Ben if they are still graded C then they have the right to stay there, but if you have regraded them that's fair.

We can't turn it into junior tee ball or junior footy where everyone gets a trophy for turning up.
                            Surely no one is asking for that!

I can understand ultimately that is what a lot of us are going for but it is not fair to the other riders in a series that is for beginners and out there to have fun and too be honest there was a lot of hours spent on the subject because of a lot of pissed off people. But please do forward all comments.
                            Not surprizing with the biggest field being Clubmans. Good luck on that on.

Comment

Cameron and Jamie are going to B Grade

Comment

Working...
                              X