Tyre warmers test results - preliminary draft added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre warmers test results - preliminary draft added

As I'm not going to be riding for a few weeks – (fuckin Scaphoids suck!) - I'm going to use the time productively - maybe. One project is to run some tests on tyre warmers. Using my own sets as a start, going to test what temp they actually get the tyre and rims to. Then do some modifications to the warmers and see if their performance can be improved. The mods will be related to draft exclusion, rim warming and fitting. If anyone wants to have their warmers tested PM me and I'll arrange pick up/delivery. I'll be testing only one type of a make (I.e. one Kaneg digital, one Kaneg non-digital, one Rilusi, one Chicken Hawk, etc.).

Why? – I did a check on my warmers and found that the most they heated a tyre to was 62c after 2 hours – even when set at 80c. By the time I get from the pits to the track they have cooled considerably – about 2c every minute depending on ambient temp and wind. So done some digging and it appears that many tyre warmers typically heat a tyre up to 65c max if you are lucky and that's it, no matter what they're set to.

Testing regime will be:
    • Room temp 23c (+ or - 1c) – no air movement
    • Tyre starting temp 23c (+ or - 1c)
    • Tyres will be Bridgestone 003 – Rear compound=3 (medium) 180/70 half worn both sides, Front 003 =4 (soft), Half worn.
    • Rims will be R6 stock.
    • Tyre pressure will be set at 27psi cold (@ 23c)
    • Temp will be taken by an infra-red thermometer @ 400mm distance (accuracy + or - 2c) (though may use a probe thermometer if I can get one)
    • Temp taking will be on left, middle and right of tyre on one place on the tyre's circumference and both left and right sides of the rim.
    • Warmers started and temp of tyre and rim tested every 15 minutes for one hour.
    • All data recorded and posted on here.
    • Depending how many (if any) want their warmer tested, the process will take place over a few days.
    • Any digital warmers will be set to 75c
    • If more than one type of warmer then will follow the above for all warmers.

There are some limits to the above but hoping to be as standard as possible. One prob is tyre profile - e.g. slightly different profile can result in different heat transfer.

So by doing some 'controlled' tests I hope to find out what makes of tyre warmers heat the most over what time frame. And by doing some mods (to mine only – see below) I may be able to find a way of getting more effective heat transfer into the tyres.

Will probably be starting the test next week after I've made the parts I want to try out and my friggin hand is a little better – so if you want me to test your warmers PM me. The mods will be tested on my warmers only unless you give permission for them to be tested on yours. As the testing will take a few days depending on numbers I'll do the testing on my own, i.e. you don't need to be present .
    Last edited by Hostilemonk; 20-05-2009, 01:37 PM.
    Supported and kept fit by sigpic

interested. I've got a set of digitally adjustable Chicane 35's I would like to see the results of.....
    Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

You can test my Kaneg digitals HM, they're probably the only ones working right now. Must admit, they felt hot in parts of the tyre and cool in others.
      07 MV F41000R
      09 Blazing orange Speed Triple
      07 CBR 600RR trackbike
      sigpic http://www.ozspeedphotography.com/

Comment

I'll have some non digital Kaneg ones that you can have a go at in a day or 2.
        EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

Got a set of sportbike tyre warmers you're welcome to test
          Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
          1985 - 2009

Comment

Got no tyre warmers yet, but interested to see how this goes HM...

Comment

Will contact those interested after weekend - will do testing between this weekend and before tuning day so warmers are back in your hands if you need them. If you going to racecraft course on 23rd will test yours either before or after that date.

l8r

Comment

Doin the Champions Thurs 14th if you want mine early next week HM.

Need em back Wed arvo though.

BTW great idea mate, earned yourself a reputation point.
                07 MV F41000R
                07 CBR 600RR trackbike

Comment

tyre warmers?....what are they then?

Brian R. no 87. P5J historics.

Comment

Hope you don't mind HM, thought I'd whack this in here for those interested.

www.diasec.co.uk Tyre warmers $361 + shipping from UK *EDIT* + 17% VAT saving. Thats $300 a pair!

Used by Superbike teams.
                    07 MV F41000R
                    07 CBR 600RR trackbike

Comment

No Probs Ozboy - as the above site states: "So don't be an eBay muppet and try to save £80 only to see your pride and joy somersaulting down the track, (Causing £1000's of damage) because your tyres had not been heated at the correct rate or achieved an overall even temperature, which is of paramount importance for maximum grip."

I'm going to test as many brands as I can get and see what the results are for tyre, rim temp and eveness as best I can.

I suspect that over-enthusiasm and a front tyre not up to temp was my undoing and resulted in fractured bones. So if any of you have a make of warmer not mentioned above and you want it tested under the same conditions let me know - then we may be able to see if there really is any difference between the various makes and styles.

Obviously I'm not testing durability and longevity of the warmers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hostilemonk View Post
                        No Probs Ozboy - as the above site states: "So don't be an eBay muppet and try to save £80 only to see your pride and joy somersaulting down the track, (Causing £1000's of damage) because your tyres had not been heated at the correct rate or achieved an overall even temperature, which is of paramount importance for maximum grip."
                        I have one of these diamond tyre warmers in my van that I repaired for Stu. It'll be interesting to see how well they stack up after all the shit talking on their website. It looks to be of dubious quality but it seems to work alright.
                        EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

Doesn't anybody use Bandits? Good Aussie quality!

Comment

Originally posted by Weed View Post
                            Doesn't anybody use Bandits? Good Aussie quality!
                            We would if we could afford them!

Comment

HM, just got sent a new digital warmer from Kaneg as a replacement...do you want to test it or do you have all the tyre warmers you need now???
                              RR#55.

Comment

Working...
                              X