No announcement yet.

Tyre warmers test results - preliminary draft added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok people - got just about all the bits I need (except some Alloy foam) so will be picking up tyre warmers on Tuesday.

Tim - adjustable Chicane 35's
    Stirl - Kaneg digitals
    Josh - non digital Kaneg (and Diamond?)
    Yagadan - Sportbike warmers
    Me - Rilusi Digital
    There are a couple of other makes also but may get them later in the week.

If you could PM me your address and/or where I can pick them up, preferably during the day, I'll collect them on Tuesday - start testing on Tuesday and hopefully finish by Friday -
    I live in Glen Forrest and hoope to pick them all up on one a round trip.

If you need them for next weekend let me know and I'll make sure I've finished with them.
    Supported and kept fit by sigpic

Comment

Just a little update - After two tests on 'conservative' digital settings, the speed at which the tyres heat up has been increased - and the max rim temperature increased by 5c.

The tyre lost an average of 2.6c every minute in still air (ambient temp 22c)and the rim 1.3c to 1.5c every minute in still air.

Issue to be worked on - getting a more even spread of heat across the tyre - currently a 14c difference across the rear tyre - the edges being hotter than the centre.

Only 5 more mods to try out

Comment

Set out below are some preliminary findings after the testing of a number of warmers. The final 'report' with graphs and raw data will be made available from a link here when completed. there are still three makes of warmers to go. The following 'dot point's'are preliminary but I'm confident (@ the .05 level!) that the general findings will not change.

Preliminary dot point “findings”
        1. EDIT: - every warmer that had not been used during the last week and had a soft fabric liner had lines of water droplets on the tyre after the first ten minutes. The impression gained was that the longer the warmer had not been used the more moisture was deposited on the tyre. This moisture evaporated after 25 minutes. Check your warmers instructions re water!
        2. Heat loss after removal of the warmers can be significant. In still air between 3.5c and 4c per minute over 5 mins. The first minute sees greatest loss with typically 10c being lost from middle of tread and 12c from the edge. In a draft (small 12 inch fan on middle speed) the loss is typically around 5c+ per minute over 5 mins. First minute sees 9c from middle of the tyre but 15c from the edge of the tyre (25mm in) exposed to the draft.
        3. Heat loss from the rim is only 1.2 degrees over 5 mins in still air and 2c over 5 mins in draft.
        4. Warmers with multiple longitudinal element strands produce more even temperature spread than single 'sine wave' form elements.
        5. The latter can have over 7c difference between temperatures on the surface of the tyre after 60 mins, and more at shorter times.
        6. Insulated side skirts around the rims promote faster tyre heating and higher rim temperatures, but NOT higher tyre temperatures. Max tyre temp was achieved 15 or more minutes earlier than those warmers without side skirts.
        7. Draft excluders have a similar effect. The benefit depends on the type of warmer. Warmers with some side skirt in their design get more improvement in rim temperature (9c) than those with no side skirt (3.5c) (all temps after one hour). Also the weather conditions would play apart here. In windy, cold weather the draft excluder's would be of more benefit.
        8. thermostat accuracy: at least two thermostat were out. One let the tyre get to over 98c, the other would not heat the tyre where measured to the set temperature and was approximately 5c out. All warmers but one heated to a level greater than their claimed setting. Most non-digital claim they are set to 75c, yet all heated to over 80c.
        9. All warmers heated to the 80c range after one hour, except one digital that was set at 75c, this one will be retested)
        10. Most tyre warmers seem to suffer from heat transfer to the outside due to external material that is not air tight, allowing hot air to pass through the material – this can only be replaced by cooler air. Result is slower heating than those with air tight material.

Currently the results point to:
        • those with just two sine wave heating elements (one each side) are not as effective or efficient as those with multiples longtitudinal elements. (the sine wave warmers tend to be the cheapest).
        • Side skirts are essential for rim temperature (say more about this in final report)
        • Draft excluders are essential in drafty/windy conditions for rim temperature
        • The more expensive warmers are generally better and have less temperature variation on the surface of the tyre.
        • Digital are worth it if you intend to run wets, or have long times between races/sessions.

More will follow after the weekend.

Thanks to all those who risked their warmers with me

HTH
        Last edited by Hostilemonk; 17-05-2009, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Good test, awesome!!

Well written and very informative..

Comment

Originally posted by Weed View Post
            Doesn't anybody use Bandits? Good Aussie quality!
            I use the Bandit Colts.. Only had a problem with them this season.. They are four seasons old ... According to Josh, an relitavly simple and easy fix ..... I rate them..

Comment

Thats some serious data. Great work HM.
              07 MV F41000R
              09 Blazing orange Speed Triple
              07 CBR 600RR trackbike
              sigpic http://www.ozspeedphotography.com/

Comment

Ever wondered who makes Sportsbike warmers? Probably the same people that make Rilusi warmers. Fourth pic down!
                Sumomoto

Comment

Originally posted by Hostilemonk View Post
                  Ever wondered who makes Sportsbike warmers? Probably the same people that make Rilusi warmers. Fourth pic down!
                  Sumomoto
                  In another thread i said a bit about that, sportbike were pissed off with sumomoto for copying their warmers. Sportbike even had people sending them sumomoto warmers for warranty claims! But in the end who really knows what the truth is, they are probably all made at the same factory!

Comment

Ok - here is the draft report - its worth every cent you paid for it - hopefully I've got the figures correct - if you spot an error let me know - I'm reading what i think i've written not whats there at the moment - and the new plaster cast makes typing a bit difficult

download the report its in MSword

Results start on Page 5

Comment

Awesome work HM.... well worth it. Do you want to provide links to the two additional products you mentioned? Draft excluders and side skirts?

I know that Respro do a Tyre Skin Respro: Racing - Road Racing - Skins that I thought might be worthwhile getting, both for general tyre protection and over the top of warmers.....
                      Tyre warmers are essential for racing as they provide the necessary heat in the tyre before going out on track. However riders racing at club level do not have the luxury of a garage at the race track to keep them and their tyre warmers operating efficiently.

Being outside in the paddock means that your tyre warmers are not going to heat up the tyres as efficiently as you may expect. This is because the air around the tyre warmer is cold and with windy conditions you may find that the tyre warmer is heating up the air outside as well - this suggests that a large proportion of the heat produced by the tyre warmers is being used to heat the air and not your tyres.

Typical race tyre working temps are between 70 - 90 Deg C. If your tyres aren't at their correct temp or higher (hanging around the collection area only cools the tyres down) then you are going to be out on the track with tyres not at their optimum working temperature (and pressure).

Respro® SKINS™ are simple to use, made from neoprene and very effective at insulating the tyre warmer from the outside air and can even be used on their own after a race or track day to ensure that the heat stays in the tyre reducing the heat cycle of the tyre to a minimum. (tyres last longer with fewer heat cycles) - in our own track tests we increased the heat temperature by 30% by using Respro® SKINS™.

Possible GB? or something we'd make ourselves.....
                      Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

Yeah may do it this week mate - but the insulated excluders i used cost $6 from BigW and a few minutes with scissors. Still making and testing a couple of other mods .

The issue I have with the skins type covers is the claim - "in our own track tests we increased the heat temperature by 30% by using Respro® SKINS™. " where was this heat temp increased - in the tyre, I hope not! 100c to 120c is a bit too hot! if its the rim - then you are looking at maybe 10c - and thats what I got with the $6 item.

Will try and add some pics of the draft excluders.

The side skirts are a standard part of the warmer itself - just extra material so the warmer wraps round the tyre completely and goes down almost to the disc of the beake. like in the attached pic.

Sumomoto also sell 'Windstop'- but these go over the warmer and still leave a gap for'wind to get onto the rim. bottom of this page Tire Warmer Supplier - the excluders I used completely seal off the rim (well almost)
                        Attached Files

Comment

prolonged the temperature loss by an additional 30% after coming off the track?
                          When I first saw them advertised, they were stating they could prolong tyre life through reducing heat cycles between track sessions due to maintaining tyre heat....
                          Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

Originally posted by Sean'o View Post
                            In another thread i said a bit about that, sportbike were pissed off with sumomoto for copying their warmers. Sportbike even had people sending them sumomoto warmers for warranty claims! But in the end who really knows what the truth is, they are probably all made at the same factory!
                            Sportbike can't complain. He copied Bandit via China

Comment

you should try doing trackday racing at knockhill scotland where i came from

gary

Comment

Thanks for doing this. Good reading.
                                Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

Working...
                                X