have u tried dunlop race tyres??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• have u tried dunlop race tyres??

have found out that there is a dunlop control tyre for the super stock 600 series that runs with the asbk rounds. im looking at goin there and am wondering what the dunlops are like?
    eg pirelli squirm around while bridgestone stick until u crash

also have heard some guys run dunlops at 19psi hot in the rear any truth in that
    The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Yes, we run them around that in supersport. They are the 200`s and you will need to change your set up considerately. I would suggest to you, to go and see Adam Senior at the next state round and have a chat to him. He runs a later model CBR, but he can give you the general direction. I am also not sure, if the Stock guys over east are running the 200`s. I am sure there are different manufacturers to choose from. Have a read through the GCRs on the MC Australia website.
    SP RACINGis supported by:
    MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
    Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
    Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

thought it was odd having a control tyre. but that wat i can see on the sup regs of asbk.

32.4 Superstock 1000 and Superstock 600, Women’s Nationals and FZ6 Masters CLASSES at each of their respective rounds:
      At each of the rounds, for Superstock 600, FZ6 Masters and Women’s Nationals; only one (1) set of marked control tyres and for Superstock 1000; two (2) sets of marked tyres can be used for qualifying, warm-up sessions and all races of each Round. Either new or secondhand marked or unmarked control tyres must be used for the practice sessions. Prior to the commencement of qualifying each Superstock 600, FZ6 and Womens national rider or their nominee must present no more than one (1) front and one (1) rear tyre, and each Superstock 1000 rider or their nominee must present no more than two (2) sets of tyres to the Series Scrutineer for marking.
      CONTROL TYRE pricing is as follows;
      Fronts 120/70 17 D209GP Racer $205.00 Rears 180/55 17 D209 GP Racer $270.00 Rears 190/55 17 D209 GP Racer $290.00 600 set = $475.00 1000 set = $495.00
      i had heard u had 200's. but there is nothing of the sort here??

Comment

The 200`s were the only ones imported by Dunlop this year. I would have to go through the regs and find the specific section for it, but at this time of the day, I cbf to be honest...lol...we can have a chat about it at the state round, if you like...

Comment

Wouldn't you be running the D211 Stephan? It's a different tyre to the D209

Comment

Originally posted by #11 View Post
            also have heard some guys run dunlops at 19psi hot in the rear any truth in that
            NTEC's, Dunlop recomend 21psi.

Dunlop Racing Tire Catalog

Comment

Originally posted by Cam 52 View Post
              Wouldn't you be running the D211 Stephan? It's a different tyre to the D209
              That is correct. Different compound to the 209s...and we get them in the 200/55, which makes it pretty shitty to set up. The bikes get to steep and twitchy to turn in...

Comment

The 211 is the NTEC and is a slick tyre not available in a treaded compound afaik. It's also about $700/set and rare as rocking horse shit.

I have used the GP Racer slick - pointier profile than the bridgestones but not as steep as the pirellis. They slide similarly to the bridgestones imo... though it depends on pace and set up like everything else, plus personal preference.

Best asset going for them is that they're significantly cheaper than the competition, around $400/set. I used them for about a year but then I had to swap to bridgestones after a supply issue with the 190 rear in a medium compound.

If you use GP Racers there are a couple of things to note:
                - Dunlop recommend a Hard rear and soft front for barbagellos; it's crap, use a medium rear or possibly a soft.
                - They are a totally different compound and construction to the NTEC and you need to run 34/33psi f/r hot as a base setting. The NTEC rear is around 22psi for comparison.

Comment

Nigel, you can get the 211 Ntec as a grooved compund. That's what Cam Keevers and a few others are running in supersport locally, what I ran last year for round 4 as well.

All the information Cam Keevers has would be for the 211's, so allthough Stephens has some great information, it wouldn't be applicable for the tyres you'll be using. Best of luck over there.
                  Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

mmm. thanks for your efforts guys. i might have to check eastern/internatonal sites as it seems the 209 is only available for people entered into the asbk championships. (possibly to increase number of buyers and drop the unit price, aka control the source hence increase buyers)

and nigel, from what ive seen/heard/tried the pirreli are a fairly flat profile, also slide alot. i thought bridgestone and dunlop were the pointy profile and didnt squirm much?

Comment

emailed dunlop this mornin, got a reply midday, awesome!

they supplied me with cold, off the warmers, and hot pressures. no fuckin about, just the info i wanted. brilliant work by these guys.

FYI: d209gp racer for 600's
                      front=31cold, 32-33 warmers, 34-35 hot
                      rear= 29-30 cold, 32-33 warmers, 35-36 hot

and incase ur interested
                      these are obviously non N-tec tyres. the n-tecs (209gp-a (not 209gp) or 211's) run real soft pressures due to hard sidewalls and even softer tread.

ps. my email was forwaded to goodyear, who replied direct to me...do they own dunlop?

Comment

Originally posted by #11 View Post
                        mmm. thanks for your efforts guys. i might have to check eastern/internatonal sites as it seems the 209 is only available for people entered into the asbk championships. (possibly to increase number of buyers and drop the unit price, aka control the source hence increase buyers)

and nigel, from what ive seen/heard/tried the pirreli are a fairly flat profile, also slide alot. i thought bridgestone and dunlop were the pointy profile and didnt squirm much?
                        Yeah sorry I phrased it badly, when I said they slide similarly to the bridgestones I meant they behave in the same way ie don't squirm around as much as the pirellis. I assume. Have only used pirellis once (hated them) and I thought they were a lot pointier and tipped in faster than the dunlops. The dunlops are definitely pointier than the bridgestones.

Cheers for setting me straight about the treaded NTECs Tim, I wasn't sure but I assumed they were unavailable as I thought all the supersports guys used slicks, I should look more closely heh.

Comment

ah, "slides like" doesnt mean "slides lots"

got it

Comment

Talk to the governing body, I'm pretty sure Wayne Maxwell, one of the front runners was running pirellis last year in supersport. Some timing sheets from symonds plains would seem to confirm this, also on his website it states that a round win was good for teknic honda and pirelli. I thought they had to be all on Dunlop? They may do a one off concession for you and let you run what you are used to. Can't hurt to ask.

Comment

"superstock" has a control tyre. all other have full use of the homoligated (or howeveritsspelt) tyre list.

im not special, they wont care about what im used to...

Comment

Working...
                              X