Braided brake lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braided brake lines

I'm getting braided brake lines on my RGV (hopefully) before next round (thanks Ajays).

I know they are meant to make a huge difference, but does anyone know how much difference? 10% extra braking power? more? At the moment I'm braking way too early so hopefully better brakes will speed me up

Oh.........and do I need to be careful that I don't go over the handlebars until I get used to them?:o
    RR #137

Supported by [/IMG]

They don't make THAT much of a difference so no, theres no need to be careful of going over the bars. Slightly more firm lever feel is about it. Some argue they make no difference at all with modern brake lines and that the difference comes from nothing more than changing your rancid old brake fluid for lovely new clean fluid.
    In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
    Its the little things that make the difference
    Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
    If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

I don't think it made a big difference. a little more feel and it felt like they didnt' fade as quick.
      Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing.

Comment

The new brake line's on bike's are as good for the 1st few years apparently but eventually go off

Comment

A major difference is only felt imo because people neglect their braking systems. THink about how much flex there actually would be in ordinary new lines, the difference between that and braided would be small.

But massive improvements are felt because the lines being replaced are years old and the bike is finally having it's fluid changed and bled.

If you are replacing them anyway you may as well throw braided lines on but I don't think they deserve the massive hype.

Comment

I’m looking to get a set of Braided lines – Some ppl my say something different but I was told that they just firm up the leaver feel but don’t overly impact your braking performance...

But with most things in motorcycle racing its a mental thing... it you thing your machinery will pull up quicker it will, if you think it can brake later it will - Its got alot to do with feel rather than performance.

Plus they look sic

Comment

If you really want awesome brakes, get a better master cylinder (and rebuild if second hand, rebuilding masters is cheap and easy), get 6 piston calipers that suit your rgv (i think the zx7/9 ones work), and replace the dust seals and polish up pistons on those, and then run braided lines.

then i have a feeling you're going to be bottoming out your rgv forks if they're standard

Comment

since the rgv master cylinder is kind of tiny i think its a good idea to run braided lines on a track bike- as the brakes get hotter the risk of lever fade due to old soft rubber lines increases

edit:
                lever fade- pull lever no pressure no brakes, usually caused by old fluid contaminated with water, the water boils to gas in the lines causing sudden spongy-ness. as discussed above, its very important to maintain brake fluid more frequently on a track bike than a street bike.

pad fade- pull lever plenty of pressure no brakes, problem with pad/rotor friction/calipers
                Last edited by g0zer; 18-08-2009, 11:46 AM.
                Originally posted by Bendito
                If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

just whilst on topic, what is the benifit of having 2 lines from the master cylinder to each caliper as opposed to one line from master cylinder to one caliper and a line linking the two calipers? i found my brake lever felt much better after swaping to 2 braided lines to each caliper?
                  IM ALWAYS ON THE EDGE, ITS ONLY THE SHARPNESS THAT VARYS

Comment

Originally posted by g0zer View Post
                    since the rgv master cylinder is kind of tiny i think its a good idea to run braided lines on a track bike- as the brakes get hotter the risk of lever fade due to old soft rubber lines increases
                    Thanks everyone......but I wanted to hear that it would make a HUGE difference!

The master cylinder was replaced with a better one, more suited to racing, and the fluid would have been replaced in Feb/Mar when the master cylinder was done. My brakes have been ok but a few people have commented on how spongy the lever felt, including the scrutineer guy, which has probably contributed to my early braking. I guess if I know the brakes are as good as can be I will be more confident to brake later.
                    RR #137

Supported by [/IMG]

Comment

feb march is getting old imho

i used to change brake fluid ~6 months until i almost run off entering the basin due to lever fade, now i freshen every 3 months.
                      Originally posted by Bendito
                      If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

if you feel like a bit of a ride or want to pop in after a day at the track (i live close) you are more the welcome to come and take a look at/feel the brakes on my RGV..they are fantastic! no braided lines but have changed the calipers and master cylinder.

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/40007/Brake.jpg

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/40008/MS.jpg

Comment

i used to change brake fluid ~6 months until i almost run off entering the basin due to lever fade, now i freshen every 3 months.
                          note to self "must change brake fluid more often"......thanks for the advice, still have so much to learn

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                          if you feel like a bit of a ride or want to pop in after a day at the track (i live close) you are more the welcome to come and take a look at/feel the brakes on my RGV..they are fantastic! no braided lines but have changed the calipers and master cylinder.
                          Thanks Luke, I may take you up on that. Bikebike must be a new suburb near the track!
                          RR #137

Supported by [/IMG]

Comment

no problem, send me a PM when your next out my way and ill send you the address.

Comment

So do you have braided lines as well? I assume that most racers have braided lines on their bikes just to get any extra edge they can in racing, since it's so competitive in some classes. Or are people with new bikes not bothering so much with braided lines now?

Sounds like the braided lines should help on my bike anyway since the lever didn't feel that great (and I'll have the mental illusion of having better braking power)
                              RR #137

Supported by [/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                              X