Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

61's with chicken strips (on the rear)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 61's with chicken strips (on the rear)

    ok so i got my lap times fairly low on the weekend, but still have bout 3mm of chicken strips on the right and 7 on the left. im hangin off the bike really well but i imagine by not gettin to the edge, and the tyre not folding completely, i am not using all the available rubber.

    should i just keep leanning
    try a 190 rear
    etc....

    also found the rear breaking traction quite easy in the left hander, while at steady throttle, so should i be putting more weight over the rear to help this??
    The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

  • #2
    At what point in the left hander is the rear breaking traction? It's such a complex corner that ther are a lot of variables.

    What tyres? If i remember correctly, you were running Dragons. Because they are runout stock they could be quite old. Try the new Supercorsa or Power One and see if you have the same issue. What compound? It was a cool day so it's not suprising.

    As for chicken strips, I'd consider it a blessing. You are quite small so you probably don't deform the tyres as much as a bigger guy.

    Another thing to consider is how steady that throttle is. What is your idle set at? Try increasing the idle speed as your bike has a manual adjuster. You might find that it helps to smooth throttle transitions.
    EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

    Comment


    • #3
      suspension setup also comes in to play here too.

      as Marty Moose will tell you he can make sure you have no chicken strips and lean less than you do already.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thought that would be great, means you have some room up your sleeve!!!


        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jules_1972 View Post
          Thought that would be great, means you have some room up your sleeve!!!
          +1 Am I missing something?

          Congrats on the 61's, good times especially considering the short time you have spent on the 600 ^_^

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Satan1 View Post
            +1 Am I missing something?

            Tyre has room for higher lean angle, faster faster faster....


            Excellent!!!


            Comment


            • #7
              of rear tyre - is it really a chicken strip (unused) or a strip where its on the road and power isnt applied (the earlier you apply power the more chance of a slide).
              Supported and kept fit by sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by #11 View Post
                ok so i got my lap times fairly low on the weekend, but still have bout 3mm of chicken strips on the right and 7 on the left. im hangin off the bike really well but i imagine by not gettin to the edge, and the tyre not folding completely, i am not using all the available rubber.

                should i just keep leanning
                try a 190 rear
                etc....

                also found the rear breaking traction quite easy in the left hander, while at steady throttle, so should i be putting more weight over the rear to help this??
                Looks like I'm not the only one, only difference is I'm afraid to lean right over << As you can see by the avatar pic.

                With the rear sliding Aaidan, I softened the compression on the rear and that settled it down. Went back to half way from nearly full compression.
                Just tinker with that if its an issue OR see the man with the magical suspension setups, Marty Moose.

                Oh, congrats on the new times mate, well done
                07 MV F41000R
                09 Blazing orange Speed Triple
                07 CBR 600RR trackbike
                sigpic http://www.ozspeedphotography.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  How much of the front tyre are you using?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Hostilemonk View Post
                    of rear tyre - is it really a chicken strip (unused) or a strip where its on the road and power isnt applied (the earlier you apply power the more chance of a slide).
                    cant upload pics as my albums arent workin. but yes, true chicken strips, not just really smoothly worn rubber.

                    Originally posted by Sean'o View Post
                    How much of the front tyre are you using?
                    most, bout...4mm left on both sides. strange given i use different amounts of rear.


                    will try a bit of suspension mucking about on the next one i think...also have a spare 20mm of front travel, need to use more as the front felt squirely under the hardest of braking, prob drop a click of comp for that.
                    The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Diff suspension setting will change your tyre wear a lot, i noticed changing rear preload really made a diff to how much front tyre i used at the same speeds, i wouldnt worry about not being to the edge, start worrying when you are still only doing 61's and going over the edge!
                      Have you taken the hydraulic stops out of the front forks? and do you really have 20mm left to play with or are they 20mm from the bottom now, not all of them will physically go to what looks like the bottom, squirrely under brakes may be that they are bottoming rather than you have more travel left.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        kk. will deff check weather they can go any further.

                        ps hydraulic stops???
                        The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yeah most forks have a hydrailic stop at the bottom to prevent a metal to metal bottom out, taken out of most race bikes to give a little extra travel

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Sean'o View Post
                            Yeah most forks have a hydrailic stop at the bottom to prevent a metal to metal bottom out, taken out of most race bikes to give a little extra travel
                            ^^ So thats what made me go over the bars! ... ^_^
                            07 MV F41000R
                            09 Blazing orange Speed Triple
                            07 CBR 600RR trackbike
                            sigpic http://www.ozspeedphotography.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Ozboy View Post
                              ^^ So thats what made me go over the bars! ... ^_^
                              No, that would have been the parkinsons in the right hand!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X