Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a horse float as a bike trailer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a horse float as a bike trailer...

I see horse floats out and about on the road and I often wonder if anyone's every used one as a track bike trailer. You can stand up in them and have plenty of room for other gear hanging up etc.

Also, they are quite low with good strong loading ramps for obvious reasons.

Ever seen it done?
    Find me on Instagram

i think they'd be pretty expensive, which would be why people dont do it. But if you have access to one, go for it.
    If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Yeah, thought price may be an obstacle.

Of course, in my infinate wisdom, I never bothered to check prices. I suppose I was thinking about if there were reasonably priced, road reg'd second hand units they could be refurbed to suit.
      Find me on Instagram

Comment

Yeah, if you can get a secondhand one cheap enough and can get the shit smell out of it, go for it.

They aren't weather tight as horses need to air so keep it in mind when you are packing.
        EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

Well since I am into horses......

For a cheap 2nd hand double horse float that is still lic you would be looking at $3000 plus. I sold one a few years ago that was lic and in good working order, but quite basic and rusty, for $5000. Problem with most floats is that you can't fit the bikes in that well, so you would need to take out the centre divider. In some floats they are removable already but most are not removable. The ramp would work well though. Floats are a lot heavier than the standard trailer too (780 kg comes to mind). If you are thinking of a single float they are much cheaper but still more than a bike trailer........go standard trailer and modify.....heaps cheaper!

Originally posted by Orson View Post
          Yeah, thought price may be an obstacle.

Of course, in my infinate wisdom, I never bothered to check prices. I suppose I was thinking about if there were reasonably priced, road reg'd second hand units they could be refurbed to suit.
          RR #137

Supported by [/IMG]

Comment

Not going to find one sans falling apart cheap.

I have used mine before and it's fine

Comment

I noticed quite a few guys doing it in the uk.....horse floats are pretty easy to get hold of over there though, not sure how available they are here.......we had a few in the fab shop I worked in, and used them as mobile work sheds.....excellent Idea.

Comment

What about putting a horse on a motorcycle trailer ... that would be an idea! can someone knock up a photoshop "artists impression"

Originally posted by Orson View Post
                I see horse floats out and about on the road and I often wonder if anyone's every used one as a track bike trailer. You can stand up in them and have plenty of room for other gear hanging up etc.

Also, they are quite low with good strong loading ramps for obvious reasons.

Ever seen it done?
                I'll be riding for you #52, my dear son, Cameron Taylor Elliott 1985-2009
                2008 CBR600RR and 2010 GSXR750 Track Bikes, KTM530EXC Enduro bike wrist breaker

Comment

I've been interested in setting up a single-horse trailer for years. I finally measured one up and it wasn't wide enough to fit a dirt bike (ie handlebar width).

A double-horse trailer could be functional. Might be a pain in the arse to set up but the big advantage that I was always keen on is that if you keep it looking like a horse float then people won't be racing to break into it and steal your bike/stuff.

Proper enclosed bike/go-kart trailers scream "steal me", "break into me". A horse float states, "I'm full of horse shit, go ahead, make my day!"
                  One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

Working...
                  X