Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250cc Class

Hey Guys,

I was thinking of buying a RS250 for race, was just wondering what class 250cc is under and if I would actually stand a chance. Is it worth starting at 250cc or should I go straight to the bigger bikes??

Also just wondering about the costs of racing, do I need to buy i new set of tires after every race? Are tire warmers absolutely essential?

EDIT: If i cant get my hands on this RS are RGV's suited to race?

Have u done any Trakdayz or Racecraft???

Comment

Ive done 1 Trackdayz, no racecraft.

Comment

Motorcycle Racing Club of WA

More info on what class is what...

Tyre warmers are arse savers + tyre savers......

Comment

Might wanna see if you can get your race license on the zzr before you buy a race bike.

Of course, advising that would make me into something of a hypocrite.

If you want a first 2-stroke bike to race, is there any reason you're not interested in a cheap rgv instead? Even a brand new RS will require engine rebuilds, so I'm not quite sure what buying one over an old rgv gets you. Of course, if you have the moolah, it's your decision how you splash it.

Comment

Formula 2 is the MCRC class you would ride that in. It's a bit of a mixed bag of bikes but the RS would be very capable in there. As an alternative, come and ride with the HCMCWA, we have a class for modern bikes (mostly 600's) but if you were to buy an older RG (1989 or older) you can race in the 20 Year Rule class. there are a few RG's running around in there and they are reasonably competitive, especially on the shorter Collie track. Drop me a PM if you want more details.
            [SIGPIC]Accredited Motorcycling Australia Road Racing Coach Level1 TRAKDAYZ

Comment

How serious about racing are you?

^^ if you're looking to race (as in, to be competitive, with a view to winning), yes you'll probably need to spend a lot on tyres. You'll also need to spend a bit (both time and money) to be competitive.

If you're just looking to get track time, you can get your license and then be eligible to do tuning days, without having to "race".

It will probably work out cheaper to buy a secondhand 600cc race bike that is already prepped, than buy an RS250 and race-prep it yourself, and deal with the maintenance - you can pick up an older race-prepped 600 (with spares) for about the same price you'll pay for a road-spec RS250...
              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I'm was looking at the RGV because I thought it would be a cheaper alternative to a 600 but from what you guys are telling me I guess not. I'm planning to take it as it comes but eventually I would like to race and be competitive. So where can I find second hand race prepped 600's?

Comment

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...4/#post1473351

MCRCWA Buy Swap Sell

The "For Sale" section...

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson View Post
                    I'm was looking at the RGV because I thought it would be a cheaper alternative to a 600 but from what you guys are telling me I guess not. I'm planning to take it as it comes but eventually I would like to race and be competitive. So where can I find second hand race prepped 600's?
                    I race an rgv, best choice for me and having the best fun on it. I would have seriously crashed if I went straight to a 600.....but that's just me!

My first several sessions of trackdayz and racecraft were on my 250 road bike. These sessions are all about cornering and getting technique, not so much about going the fastest you can possibly go around the track. Suggest do at least another trackdayz on your zzr and keep getting info from people, then decide what suits you. If you have more experience than what I did when I started going to the track then you may be fine on a 600.

What about an SV650S? Tyres will last a few race days and you can go in F2 and Clubman 600 (then again you can do that with the rgv too). Depends how much competition you want...
                    RR #137

Supported by [/IMG]

Comment

the RGV 250 is a great little bike to start with, this next round at MCRC there are 2 RGV's, an aprilia250 a TZ and an RS. all 250's.
                      the RGV that Janedoe races cost $3000 plus some repairs and fairings. the bike is stock standard mechanically with braided brake lines and fairings the only non standard items. the engine hasn't even been pulled down yet since she bought it second had a few months ago
                      As janedoe hasn't even been riding a motorbike for 12 months yet, we saw this as the way to learn a lot in a smaller field on a bike that is still fast enough to scare the crap out of you.

running cost of the RGV so far has been 3 litres of oil, a set of brake pads and after several racecraft, tuning days and practise day plus racing since rnd2, she has now got the second set of rubber on the bike, the others are still good and are reusable, just wish our 250 road bikes had the same size tyres on it (bugga). the 600's are a set of tyres each race meeting. and I might add the price for a set of tyres is also cheaper than the bigger tyres to suit the 600.

I couldn't recommend the RGV or other similar 2 stroke 250 highly enough for a introduction to racing. I feel there is way to many people on this forum recommending to go to a 600 as the only way to go, if more people looked into a 2 stroke especially in tighter economic times there would be more racers out there enjoying themselves instead of dropping out due to cost. my 2c worth
                      I am sure Janedoe will add to this.

bugga she types faster than me as well
                      Last edited by AJays; 10-09-2009, 12:12 PM. Reason: beaten to it

Comment

Ajays......hard at WORK are we? didn't think so..............me too

we should stop molesting this thread now

Originally posted by AJays View Post
                        I am sure Janedoe will add to this.

bugga she types faster than me as well
                        RR #137

Supported by [/IMG]

Comment

From what you've said I reckon just find a bike (any bike - RGV250 will be cheaper to source than an RS - but your ZZR will be usable, and you already have it ) and get out there. Work out whether or not getting serious is for you, and then work out what class to try and be competitive in - if you decide to "get serious"
                          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Racing costs me somewhere in the area of $10,000 a season. If you are worried about $500 for tyre warmers, you don't have the budget.

Sorry, I'm just pissy about being broke all the time.
                            EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

Originally posted by ApatheticEnd View Post
                              Sorry, I'm just pissy about being broke all the time.
                              ahmen to that brother.

Originally posted by Crimson View Post
                              Hang on to the end of the month and I'll have something for ya.

To be honest if was to do it all over a again i'd buy a bike with everything done already. yeah it was fun setting it all up but so expensive.
                              Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X