Tuning session bum slide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning session bum slide

Had a blast @ my 1st AHG/Rac tuning session today on the Versys , great advice and help …and then I friggen came off
    The coming off was ok, bent handlebars though rideable, crash bars saved the day , what gets me is I’m not sure why ?
    Scraped the pegs a few times and started to try n hang off more. Have about 8mm unused rubber front n back so I’m going to take off the lowering footpeg blocks I have on.
    A few things , in the morn I changed the front preload and rebound damping. Had about 20mm sag , maybe not enough front sag but testing thismorn couldn’t seem to bottom out. Trying to make it so the bike didn’t dive so much under braking, also added more rebound in the rear and 30mm sag.
    Now I don’t know if the above had anything to do with the off, actually felt good to ride.
    Trying to play it back in slowmo, peg scraped then off. Obviously I coulda been hanging off more, though I also think in some turns I was slightly twitching the handlebars, line correcting….i know I know, bad move Godzilla… not sure if the front went under 1st or the rear.
    Also been looking at pics and vids of motard riders, not that he V is a supermoto, but upright seating position. Seems some riders hang off sportbike style and some seem to be seated upright knees out….more practice I spose…
    Anyways, bum on the bike after sorta straitening the rearbrake and onto the track, but no matter how many times I yelled in my helmet to go dog go, my testicolas had shrunk and I rode awfully, plus the jessies had reversed track direction…
    Anyways, few beers under my belt and something of a rant, though if anyone has some insights I’d be glad to hear em….
    Really want to go again, just that feeling of not knowing what I happened ?
    And big cheers to pnorkle,Adam and lads who helped me straighten up bits n bobs, and Ambers a legend

Sure you did'nt dig the peg into the ground and lose traction?
    Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

Originally posted by boogs View Post
      I’m not sure why ?

I changed the front preload and rebound damping. Had about 20mm sag , maybe not enough front sag but testing thismorn couldn’t seem to bottom out. Trying to make it so the bike didn’t dive so much under braking, also added more rebound in the rear and 30mm sag.
      too much lean angle causes slides, too much too fast causes loss of control and crash- looks like your bike crashes cheaply.

imho re suspension

first set sags so about 30% of travel is taken up by bike + rider weight

second to control dive, use compression damping

finally to control bounce, use rebound damping
      Originally posted by Bendito
      If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

You seem to have a fair understanding of sag settings, but what tyre pressures were you running?
        Also that quick change of direction seems to catch people out, have taken pics at that corner and have seen some "interesting" lines.
        Sorry to see your bike like that, but at least she's still roadworthy.
        07 MV F41000R
        09 Blazing orange Speed Triple
        07 CBR 600RR trackbike
        sigpic http://www.ozspeedphotography.com/

Comment

There is a bump in the track a bit after where you have mark the chaos point. Did you loose it on that? Otherwise, like Stirl says - tyre pressures?

Comment

Sure you did'nt dig the peg into the ground and lose traction?
            Hey Sam, I just had another gander @ the peg, it was the first time i'd scraped that side, and there is quite a bit ground away. Some from a different angle from the slide, though a good chunk from touching down. I just don"t know ?

imho re suspension
            first set sags so about 30% of travel is taken up by bike + rider weight
            second to control dive, use compression damping
            Hey g0zer, I'll get onto sag settings 2morrow and sadly no compression damping on the V....glad i put on those bloody crash bars

, but what tyre pressures were you running?
            Also that quick change of direction seems to catch people out, have taken pics at that corner and have seen some "interesting" lines.
            Sorry to see your bike like that, but at least she's still roadworthy.
            Forgot about tyre pressure Ozboy. Normally F32 R36, though I went down to F30 r34. Also pretty new Pilot power rear and 6000k dunlop front...
            Interesting lines, oh yea

Comment

Oopsy.
              Frame damage.

EDIT:
              Originally posted by Ozboy View Post
              but at least she's still roadworthy.
              I'd be surprised.....

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                Oopsy.
                Frame damage.

EDIT:

I'd be surprised.....
                Have a closer look, they are crash bars.

Comment

glad your ok. easy to overthink these things afterward but like i mentioned i think you could use getting your weight off more

Comment

Originally posted by Sean'o View Post
                    Have a closer look, they are crash bars.
                    My bad.
                    Good investment hey!

Comment

Originally posted by boogs View Post
                      Also pretty new Pilot power rear and 6000k dunlop front...
                      Interesting lines, oh yea
                      Do they use the D221 on the versys, it was the standard fitment on the ER6-n. It's complete rubbish for the track, overheats and gets real greasy. I had a few moments at my first track day, and swapped them out shortly after for pilot powers.
                      For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                      For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Sorry to hear about your crash and glad you're not majorly hurt, but damn your bike crashed well! doesn't seem to be too much major damage on it at all

Comment

why did you increase the rebound on the rear

Because it sounds a little like the suspension may not have been able to rise after hitting the aforementioned dip in the tar and the tire lost traction due to being unloaded
                          Women are like motorcycles, they should be ridden hard and kept well lubricated ...

Comment

you could probably get a lot of those parts on fleabay for not much.

i really wanna go to one of these days, but i really don't wanna prang my bike.
                            Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
                            Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

Suggest you go see Marty Moose to get your suspension sorted, then take it from there.
                              Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

Working...
                              X