X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correspondence with Roy Prat: Group Leader of IMPS UK

The following is correspondence with the group leader here in UK:
    Hi Colleen,

Thank you for your enquiry and kind comments, by coincidence yesterday I received another enquiry from Australia from an ex Police Officer asking our permission to use some of our material as he is trying to set up a similar organisation as well, perhaps I should put you in contact with each other. Regretfully we are not an international organisation as it takes all of our time to keep on top of our own little set up. You are quite right that the model of the Imps has much to offer young people providing the main thrust is correct, i.e. it is the children and their development that is the vital part of the organisation all else is secondary but also essential to motivate young people into the right path.

I am interested that you will be at the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo this year, may I extend an invitation to you and your family to come to meet the ‘Imps’ behind the scenes and experience what makes us tick, if you are interested keep in touch and we will make the arrangements. Thank you for your interest in the ‘Imps’

Roy

Hi Colleen,

Wow, you are keen, good for you. To answer all your questions would take a fairly sizable book, the answers are available but I can only talk with any authority on the 'Imps' model, I have just had another email from the ex Police Officer and he has fallen at the first hurdle by trying to wrap motorcross, road racing, trials, grass track and display riding in the same project, that I can tell you will never work. However, if you are genuinly interested in the 'Imps' model I can help you there. the 'Imps' are not a motorcycle based project it is a 'Child Oriented' affair that uses motorcycles both as a carrot and a therapeutic tool to help children develop their full potential, the display team is the purpose that children strive to achieve their goals and become first a 'team' and second performers on motorcycles. It is unique as far as I am aware, I know of a childrens motorcycle display team in Germany but to be a member one has to be the son or daughter of a senior Police Officer, hardly a community project as it debars 99% of the children in the community. If you are interested in the 'Imps' model and their core values this could be recreated anywhere in the world, I have worked with children in many countries including the Algerian Sahara and tayght them to ride and enjoy a motorcycle so I know it works. Let me know your level of interest and I would then know what detail to go into.
    Please let me know the dates you will be in the UK and visiting the tattoo and I will make arrangements for you to have a day lonmg behind the scene visit, meet the team and the staff on duty at that time and experience a day with the 'Imps' if you would care to.

Best wishes,

Roy

Hello again,

You have caught me on a good day normally I would not have time for reply but I have a few days off otherwise you would not get quite such a quick reply. From what you say the time is well spent, we did have sponsorship from Honda for 32 years then when the market for bikes dropped in the UK we and other projects were axed, we now buy in at trade prices from the distributor. When we started out we had many hurdles to cross, the authorities even tried to shut us down, I had one advantage, I actually worked for the authority and knew the in's and out's of the legal position and the project had the support of the community because of it's aims and objectives of the 'Imps' but initially it was an uphill battle. As an ex military man when I started the project I only knew the army way, so I took out any warfare elements and used the structure and organisation, training methods to set the project up. I try to use volunteers from structured organisations such as the armed forces, Police etc but have folk from many varied backgrounds, the skills I look for in this order are: Safe and committed to helping children grow to full maturity, able to instil discipline by example and have leadership skills, if they happen to have motorcycle skills as well great but that can be taught the first two you either have it or you do not. We receive some government support, not so much as we used to but that is common throughout youth work in the UK. Insurance is a very tricky area as you cannot get it without a track record and you cannot build that without insurance, having said that there is a way which can be done under the mythical 'Ways and means act' if you get my point. The way forward is to have a goal in mind, start small and do not at any stage over stretch yourself. In the UK there is a fairly sophisticated Vetting and Barring scheme that any one who works with children needs to be cleared by, it is a criminal offence here to engage someone to work with children, paid or volunteer without being cleared, this is designed to protect children from undersireable people, I am sure you have a similar scheme in Australia, if you do not I can tell you how it was managed before the scheme became law. As a point of interest there are at least three ex Imps who live in Australia, the family emigrated about two years ago, I will check where they live and if it's within reach of you it would be good for you to talk with them. Our training not only covers motorcycling and maintenence but also covers a full range of adventure and educational activities with the emphasis on fun learning, such activities are necessary to build a good team spirit. One final point I would make your first group should be quite young, ours start at 5 years of age so riding a bike is like learning to walk and talk. Well I need to get on now, do you follow us on Twitter, if not go onto our web site and hit the twitter button you can see what we are up to and make some comments.
    My very best wishes to you,

Roy
    Originally posted by Red_is_Best
    hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Group Categories

Collapse

P-IMPS Stunters and Kids working together

About this Group

A group for people interested in getting a community place for stunters/rider education and a place for kids to be a part of a positive group to learn riding/stunting and pride in their community and themselves. Look at community putting together a group for shows and entertainment.
Type: Invite Only
Topics: 4
Comments: 10

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
X