wheelie club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stunting Etiquette

Guys, having been to the first one only, I'm assuming we have our shit together a bit better than the first time around but thought I'd drop some suggestions in here to make wheelie days safer for bodies, bikes and licences.

Advice garnered from watching a few different groups practising and seeing what worked and what didn't.

1. This shit contravenes the Road Traffic Code and, depending on their mood, the Road Traffic Act. Cops turning up ruins everyone's day.
    - Make sure spots are out of sight of main through-roads where pork patrols are likely to be.
    - Make sure that you check it's cool with anyone else 'legitimately' in the area.
    - Make sure that you don't outstay your welcome. Meet elsewhere, turn up to the site, play for maybe an hour, maybe less, certainly no more, then LEAVE.
    - Make sure you're always ready to bolt if the fuzz turn up. They can't chase everyone.
    - If the fuzz turn up and you are lucky last, you don't know anyone, you're new, who the fuck is PSB?
    - COVER YOUR DAMN PLATES! Don't expect the photographers and any bystanders to edit them out, they have enough work to do trying to make your shit wheelie look like a monster minga.
    - Filter attendees religiously - got this pretty sussed so far, but keep the numbers down. 10 people is a healthy maximum.

2. Someone will bin their shit at some point. Make sure it's a single vehicle accident. Keep bikes not playing, cars, trailers, gear etc well away from the area of play. Collisions and collateral damage are bad, mmmkay.

3. Traffic flow. You don't want collisions but you want to get the maximum use of the venue for everyone in the short time you have. The best way I've seen:
    - everyone playing assembles in a group at one end
    - everyone goes through, one by one, forming a group at the other end
    - only when the last person has gone through from the first end do we start coming back the other way
    - it's ok to start when the person in front of you is halfway, unless they have given the slow down sign as they start (flat hand to the side, pushing down, like bouncing a ball kinda) to indicate that they won't be doing just a fast pass.
    - it's important to remember this sign if you intend to stop mid way - stoppies, trying a 2nd wheelie, trying a slow wheelie etc.

4. Burnouts. Just don't, it pisses off anyone who has to use that road for something else or who lives nearby.

5. Photographers/videographers - guess what? There are bikes doing shit that bikes aren't designed to do, piloted by people who in the main don't know what they're doing. It's awesome!! But it also means that 300kg flesh/metal combinations are flying about the place in unpredictable ways. You gots options:
    - Use a lens that lets you sit comfy and clear of the carnage;
    - Only wander down to the road when people you know/trust are coming through;
    - Only be on the road AFTER talking through a particular stunt and how you want to catch it with the person involved; or
    - Get down there, be ready to jump but accept responsibility for your own personal safety because you are putting yourself in harm's way.

Hope this is all of some help, pick/choose/use what you want and mebbe throw some more suggestions in this thread!
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Good Write up Starfish, the bit about traffic flow is important as its always gets messy out there when people start getting impatient and want more wheeies

Comment

nice work starfish... the other option to one way traffic is to have a traffic controller in hi vis , which is how we've been doing it. works a treat and get max wheelie time when u have bigger groups to get through in short time... last wheelie day we had 27 bikes to get through in 1.5hrs
      sigpic

Comment

Good write up. Much to think about.

I too have only made the first one, which I enjoyed a lot. Having two or three bikes out felt pretty safe and we were all taking turns and swapping around.

It did however make me wonder what would happen when the numbers increase, which would mean trying to fit many more in whislt keeping the time at location reasonable. Either way the risks of everything appears to go up as the numbers attending rise.

I see the most important thing as to keeping those learning 'level headed' and not jumping into things too fast, especially when more experienced people are attending and possibly making them feel a little pressured to go bigger.

I'll be at the next one to video, jump, and offer advise
        When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story.

Originally posted by lobes89
        Yea I like the bike but it's hard to get my foot under the brake lever

Comment

yeah we had 3 times as many bikes on the last one.... was ok and safe once we worked out that 2way traffic was good with a traffic controller
          sigpic

Comment

Group Categories

Collapse

wheelie club

About this Group

home of the hoons
          Type: Invite Only
          Topics: 17
          Comments: 294

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X