wheelie club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wheelies?

Hey Fella's anyone know much about steering wheelies?, sometimes when I bring them up they slowly head towards the curb, I heard you apply pressure to the opposite foot peg but that doesn’t seem to be working.

Could I just be to tense or not applying enough pressure to the peg or am I doing something wrong.. I haven’t hit balance point yet, does that make a difference? are they easier to steer at balance point as compared to still applying power to keep it up?

I've found that you need to be going off the throttle to be able to make changes in direction of a wheelie, maybe try easing the throttle back a little so your weight can make the bike lean a little then bring up a throttle a little again. If your all out on the throttle you'll struggle to change direction of the bike
    When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story.

Originally posted by lobes89
    Yea I like the bike but it's hard to get my foot under the brake lever

Comment

oh and heading towards the curb is probably something to do with the way that your lifting the bike, do you always fall towards the left ?, you might have your weight off set when you first lift the front, or you might be applying some form of twist to the bars/bike as it first lifts, could even be the camber of the road. Find a super flat roadm, get nice and even on the bike, keep your head central when your getting the front up and try to keep sitting back and not pulling your chest to the tank.
      When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story.

Originally posted by lobes89
      Yea I like the bike but it's hard to get my foot under the brake lever

Comment

its always to the left but only about 25% of the time.
        Ill give that a go cheers

Comment

Use your bars!

The front wheel has a gyroscopic force if it's spinning even a little bit, and it should be as you've picked it up while moving, I hope, and not from a stand still. I can't remember which way I steer to go which way as it's all kind of auto-pilot. I think you counter-steer, meaning if you're heading left, steer left and it leans the bike right, steering the wheelie right.

The reason most wheelies go left is the road camber - all roads have camber for drainage and we drive/ride on the left so the down-hill drainage is to the left. Try picking one up on the wrong side of the road and tell me which way you go.
          2006 Yamaha R1SP;
          In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
          Amen, brother. Amen.
          My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Horney is on the money, always heading to left due to camber of road, overtake doing a wheelie and you will drift to the right, road always cambers away from centre.

On steering, I found the gyroscopic theory is great and should be all you need to begin with although it is fairly auto-pilot.
            As for pressure on pegs, it works brilliantly but I find only when I am doing a stand up (which I am shite at). Sitting down with pressure on pegs does sweet fuck all as most your weight is centre regardless.
            We are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride.

Comment

Stand up wheelies are a piece of piss to steer - just lean the way you want to go.

Sit down, I still find steering the best but once the wheel stops spinning, leaning your chest/shoulders off the bike is the best way.
              2006 Yamaha R1SP;
              In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
              Amen, brother. Amen.
              My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

I do a wheelie up the driveway to work most days (unless someone important is looking), there's a lot of camber and the motard always drifted left so I ended up turning left and sticking my right knee out. For some reason the hypermotard goes straight every time, maybe its because I have to do them faster and the front wheel is spinning more the gyroscopic effect is making it easier to steer.
                -

Comment

Group Categories

Collapse

wheelie club

About this Group

home of the hoons
                Type: Invite Only
                Topics: 17
                Comments: 294

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X